The metal that keeps on giving!

Researcher at PPPL found that injecting grains of Lithium into turbulent plasma resulted in increased temperature and pressure:

The scientists used a device developed at PPPL to inject grains of  measuring some 45 millionths of a meter in diameter into a plasma in the DIII-D National Fusion Facility – or tokamak – that General Atomics operates for DOE in San Diego. When the lithium was injected while the plasma was relatively calm, the plasma remained basically unaltered. Yet as reported this month in a paper in Nuclear Fusion, when the plasma was undergoing a kind of turbulence known as a “bursty chirping mode,” the injection of lithium doubled the  at the outer edge of the plasma. In addition, the length of time that the plasma remained at high pressure rose by more than a factor of 10.

[The above image is a Lithium mine in Argentina. Lithium is recovered by evaporating brine and then electrolysing the Lithium chloride. Lithium mine, Salar del Hombre Muerto, Argentina The Advanced Land Image on NASA’s EO-1 satellite captured this image on May 16, 2009]

Salar del Hombre Muerto means “everything’s fine” I think.